Monday, August 5, 2013

How bike shops have evolved - my take

When I first started riding mountain bikes the internet didn't exist, there were some mail order places where you could get bike parts, but we got most of our stuff from the bike shop directly. We used to have a saying that it was a good day if you could get out of the bike shop for less than $30. Most of what you could get from mail order was overstock or last year's stuff. If you knew what you wanted it could be a good deal, but a lot of times you were buying old stuff that bike shops couldn't sell.

The guys at the bike shop (the good ones) had definitive opinions about what parts were good and which ones weren't. Looking back there was a certain mystery in what they knew and I felt like I could never learn. The bike shop had a huge stock of items, it was pretty rare that they had to order what you needed. Most of the time when they ordered something for you, you had no obligation to buy it since they figured they could sell it even if you didn't buy it.

As the internet started to boom the bike shop's inventory suddenly became available on line.  You'd pay less for internet parts, but you would still have to wait for it to arrive. So, even though the internet shops were cheaper, I often bought at least some of my parts locally. Ok that didn't happen often, but if I bent a chain or a ring on a ride or I was in the middle of a build and realized I forgot something I'd just drive to the bike shop and get it.

Now I guess the only reason for a bike shop to exist is to sell new bikes and do repair work with ordered parts. For my most recent build I needed a particular (though very popular style) front derailleur, I would have gladly paid bike shop prices for that part. I called five shops that were in a reasonable driving distance, NONE had the derailleur in stock.

Today I thought I'd like to try out a shorter stem on my bike. I called the closest shop they had ONE stem in stock !ONE STEM! I didn't measure mine before I went down there, but went to see what they had (sometimes a quick ride in the car can break up the day). I just wanted to kind of hold it next to my bike and see the difference. I got down to the store and the one they were going to sell me was on a display bike. It was way too short, but still, that's the only stem they have? Insane. I wonder what they would do if someone wanted a shorter stem on a bike they were selling?

Every time I call a shop for a part, they offer to order me the part (whatever it is), but its a special order, I'm committed to buying it if they order it. I can order a part and get it delivered to my house, and even if I pay for second day shipping, its still probably cheaper than what I'd pay at the bike shop. I guess I'm nearing the end of calling shops for parts anymore. The guy on the other end of the phone feels bad, I feel bad, no way to win.

Let's talk about the experience level at the shops - if you're lucky (really lucky) the guy there will know something about the bikes they carry, but even that's not a given. Maybe I'm entirely too obsessed with bikes, but its rare when I can have an intelligent discussion with a bike shop tech or floor guy.

I don't mean this to be a rant about how bad bike shops are, I know its a tough market to exist in. Kudos to the guys who have figured out how to make money and stay in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment