Tuesday, November 12, 2013

More random thoughts

I usually have some theme or particular topic to write about, today's blog entry is a mishmash of stuff that's happening.

On the music front Anger Buddy finished recording the tracks for Moron, its a song that I wrote with Version Larry many years ago. I don't remember the exact genesis of this song, but I'm pretty sure it was a collaborative effort among the Version Larry. This is the first time we're using John's electronic drum set instead of recording his acoustic set live. Its a bit of a disjointed process starting with us recording live, then John taking that home and recording his drum parts over again (essentially starting over) then the rest of us playing our parts over his. I was concerned that we would lose that "live" sound, but so far I am very happy with it. Drums are absolutely the hardest instrument to record, there is a lot of overlap in the mics, there are phasing issues, just all kinds of headaches to deal with. We should have the mix done and have the song published on Soundcloud soon.

I had big plans to make a guitar/bass combo instrument and its getting around to build time, being that the weather and darkness have come upon us. I am having second thoughts about it, I just don't think I'd use the instrument that much and learning how to play it will take me a long time. I don't mean to be lazy, but trying to be realistic about whether its worth my time making an instrument that I probably won't play. Right now I'm considering making a five string fretted bass instead. The first bass I made was a five string fretted, but the electronics in it are really bad and honestly, it being the first one I built, the craftsmanship is not all that great. We'll see, there's no final decision yet.

I went riding this weekend with Al Tinti and his group. Al is an older guy who still rocks it on the mountain bike. Its so inspirational to ride with him and his older(!) brother. I hope I can remain as active as these guys are as I age. We did a great ride with the high point (literally) being a climb up Peaked Mountain in Monson, MA. The view from up top is incredible, I see on the topo its about 1200', which is about the highest point around here. That's Al's brother Joe in the middle.


I ordered new tires for my fatty, they should be here in a week or so. The tires that came with my bike will serve as back up tires, I had two concerns with them. First the knobs are not very big on this tire, I suspect they wouldn't be very good in snow. Second (and probably more importantly) they have pretty severe "self-steer" tendencies. There's this weird thing with fat bikes where when you are riding on pavement or even large rocks the contact patch is so large that the bike feels like its steering itself. This can be especially unsettling when you roll off an off camber rock, the handlebars pull against the way you want to steer. Its not a huge thing, but I think these On One Floaters will be better in both respects. I love the bike and have taken it out a few times, including a cranker yesterday with the Sunday group. 

That's all for now. Hopefully some new pictures soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment