Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rolling the fatty

Given the high rolling resistance of the fatty, I usually take the RIP on group rides due to some deep seated fear that I won't be able to keep up. I had the fatty in the back of the Element from Saturday's ride, but at the last second that fear crept in and I swapped it for the RIP9 before I headed out for the Sunday ride (the RIP had a newly rebuilt fork on it too, which sweetened the pot). I got to the group ride on Sunday morning and found the fork had no air left in it, ugh. I aired it up and it seemed to hold ok for a few minutes in the driveway, so I went on the ride. Within a mile my fork was flat again. Two of the other guys on the ride brought fat bikes, I was kicking myself for not bringing mine!

I brought the RIP back to the bike shop and they found a loose air valve. I'm bummed I missed a ride because of the bike shop's error, but I must say its nice to have someone else figure the problem out.

While the RIP was in the shop another ride opportunity materialized, so I grabbed the fatty and headed out, no choice this time! Jeff and I had a great ride, the fatty was surprisingly capable and a lot of fun to ride. In the entire ride there was only one descent that overwhelmed the bike, I will also admit there were a few jumps along the way that I looked at wistfully as I absorbed the bump rather than boost and get one of those "moments of quiet" that Jeff likes to talk about. I wasn't pushing it too hard, but I am sure that I can go faster on the RIP than on the fatty. I can't say the RIP isn't fun, it is, but the fatty is fun too.

I'll be taking the fatty out on more group rides going forward, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment