Friday, January 31, 2014

Rock Climbing

Dawn really hates the cold, getting her out to ride when its under 30 degrees is difficult/impossible. She's always been kind of interested in rock climbing and a new gym opened up in Glastonbury last year. We went and took the belay class and soon after signed up for a membership. We've gone 3 or 4 times a week since then.

Its really fun - in a totally different way that mountain biking (yeah I have to compare everything to biking).

Its much less aerobic, but much more strength oriented. Its also much more deliberate. We're both progressing in our ability to climb harder and harder routes. We have a lot to learn with technique for sure, but the main limiting factor seems to be hand strength. I can only hold onto a hold for so long before my hand starts to cramp or give out in some way. Some of that is because my technique is bad and I'm having to use my hands to hold on more than I should, but a lot of it is just plain (relatively) weak hands.

So far I am really enjoying it though. I see little bits of progression with every trip to the gym, which makes it rewarding to go. I'll admit its a bit frustrating to see some not so fit people climbing routes that I can't even start, never mind finish.

The negative of this is that my biking time has been cut back a bit. I have to figure out how to balance it better. Not a big deal I guess. I noticed the last two times I played bass my fingers were really tight too - hopefully that will subside as my hands get stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment