Thursday, December 20, 2012

...and life goes on - rides and such

Now that the bass building adventure has ended I'm going to try and update this with some more bike riding content.

Before I do that - the bass is working out great. I love the way it sounds and plays. I am really enjoying it. I suspect the other basses in the quiver will be getting a rest for a while. The one negative is that as the cocobola on the fretboard aged it darkened up quite a bit, so those anigre fretlines are practically invisible when I'm playing. I'm going to try and play with it as is and see if I can learn to play without lines, if not, then I think I'll make some small slots on the side of the fretboard and put in some white inlay wood where the fretlines are.

I did a nice road ride today - I will admit its hard to motivate to get out there when its under 40 degrees, but once you get rolling it is really not that bad. I am learning on the road its more about blocking the wind than insulation. In the woods its almost the opposite, you need insulation, but you want to be able to use the downhills to shed heat.

Absolutely loving the new road bike. I'm getting more comfortable on it in every way. At first I was getting horrible hand cramps, I realized that if I shifted my pelvis forward a few degrees it took all the weight off my hands. Its a good idea, but took a few rides for me to develop the muscles to hold that position, my core is so weak! Being in the drops and railing a corner at speed is one of those things that makes me want to ride more and more. Its such a cool feeling - the efficiency of road biking is really rewarding.

I have a couple of lunch loops from the house worked out, this one is pretty hilly, but easily done in under an hour. I can't wait for the warmer weather so we can get out on some longer road rides. (we'll see how easily Strava integrates here): 

No comments:

Post a Comment