Wednesday, November 21, 2012

...and finally a note of thanks

I thought I'd end this build saga with a note of thanks to the people who helped me.

The first, and most obvious person, to thank is my father. While he did less on this build than others in the past, I would not have been able to do as much on my own if it weren't for his guidance on the previous instruments. On this bass build he helped me out with strategies to get different things done and cautions against some approaches I had to some difficult problems. He also did do some of the more complex operations. Its always great to have an expert right there at hand when you have a question or need help. I can't thank him enough for his willingness (insistence?) to allow me to use his shop and tools. While I tried to live the "leave it better than you found it" rule while over there, I am sure I interrupted his work, but you would never know it. I truly enjoyed spending time working with my father on this (and every other project), its great to share a passion like this. Thanks Dad!

Second, my wife Dawn. This project took about 50 hours over two months, and that's just the actual shop work. I fretted (pun intended) and talked incessantly about this for about a month before I started and throughout the whole process. I don't know how she put up with it. Saying "put up with it" sounds like Dawn just kind of passively listened to my rambling. She did way more than that, her ideas are incorporated throughout the bass - as an example those inlays were largely her idea. This is true support and not just lip service. I hope I provide some of that encouragement and support in her endeavors.

Third, my mother. I saw an episode of 30 Rock yesterday where Liz's family was featured and they were lambasted for being overly supportive. I couldn't help but think of my mother - she has been so entirely positive and complementary. I know she's my mother and she kind of has to do this, but she's really good at it and having those positive messages all the time is comforting and reassuring. Truly appreciated.

...and yes I'm scanning Ebay for wood for the next build :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment