Monday, September 2, 2013

Sunday road ride

It absolutely poured on Saturday night for a long time. I decided on a road ride rather than deal with the slippery, possibly muddy trails. With the right trail selection I'm sure the woods would have been fine, but I went for the road anyway. My shoulder is feeling slightly better, and I figured a road ride would be easier on it than the mountain bike.

Its been a while since I've done a serious road ride. I put together a ride that looped from Coventry back through Tolland and over to Ellington. It was a good 40 mile route with a fair amount of climbing. I'll admit that as I was riding I considered taking the easy way a few times, but I just kept turning for the hills.

There are roads in both Tolland and Ellington called "Crystal Ridge" a friend told me that the one in Ellington is a good descent and, despite the fact that they are not connected on the map, you can walk from one road to the other. I got to the end of the Tolland road and the Ellington one is right there, but to get to it you have to walk on two people's lawns. I hated doing that but as I was standing there contemplating what to do a loud clap of thunder came from the clouds overhead. Since going across gap was a quicker way home, I just did it. When I got to the second lawn there was a clear path across that lawn, so I guess this is something people do.

Just as I got to the second cul-de-sac the clouds opened up and it started pouring. The descent was not a lot of fun as the faster I went, the worse the rain hurt. I just endured the pain and got to the bottom, the rain only lasted about 20 minutes, but it was raining hard and I got soaked to the bone. It was the nice warm rain, so no big deal (except for that one high speed descent).

All in all, a good time on the road bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment