Thursday, December 19, 2013

Fox News - yep, I'm going there...

I guess if you were going to characterize my political leanings, you would have to say I'm more socially liberal than conservative. Fiscally I appreciate conservative values, but so many other things get mixed in there by the lunatic fringe (yeah I said it) that its really hard to separate the good ideas from the chaff.

I never watch Fox News, the only time I see anything from that station is on Facebook when one of my liberal friends posts something up to prove a negative point, or one of my conservative friends post up something to prove a positive point. I do watch at least some of these short segments that get posted, I like to see how things are portrayed. When I watch it the BS meter in my head starts going crazy and before too long I'm discounting the whole story.

I got this from a mountain biking email list that I belong to (why this was posted to a mountain biking email list I'll never know):

I post this not to say anything about E15 gasoline, but more because I think it exemplifies what's wrong with Fox News. The base message is actually pretty good information to have - don't put E15 gas into a car that isn't built to handle it...but Fox can't stop there, they sprinkle in the words "government", "subsidies", etc and before you know it this is a conspiracy by the Ethanol lobby and irresponsibility by the current administration that WILL negatively impact you. I should also mention that in my travels for work and filling up rental cars in probably a dozen states in the last year I have never seen an E15 gas pump.

Whenever my BS meter pegs I head over to snopes.com and check it out there. I found an article and it starts with pretty much the same message - don't put E15 in a car that's not built for it, but it doesn't have all the misleading information to confuse things: http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/e15.asp

I see the liberal/conservative arguments on Facebook all the time - as does anyone who has a Facebook account. I see the conservative guys quoting Fox News - you have to admire how they can create a talking point and it spreads like a virus through social media. After watching a few Fox News segments I have to laugh when one of my conservative Facebook friends (who parrot the Fox message) dismisses a position posited by Steven Cobert or John Stewart because "they are comedians". I'd much rather listen to the logic of a comedian than that of a news station that has an agenda like Fox does.

I guess in re-reading the above I sound like a raving liberal, I'm not, or maybe I am, but that's not the point. The point is Fox News is a terrible place to get information, find a better source please. Use the facts to form an opinion, don't let their biases and opinions form yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment