Sunday, December 8, 2013

New bike light and phone

I guess I've been slacking on the old blog here. A few random updates and thoughts:

New phone
I've had a Motorola Razr for the past two years, I liked it, though the battery life was never really good. I'm a pretty heavy user with work travel and stuff, so I chalked it up to my style of usage. I got this new HTC One and I see that the technology has improved a lot in two years. It does everything my Razr did but twice as fast (or faster), it switches between things instantly. That's something the Razr started to really have problems with in the last year or so. I told myself I was going to do a hard reboot on it to see if I just had too much stuff loaded on it or what. Regardless the HTC One is a great phone, I highly recommend it.

New bike light
Talking about things that have improved over time, we just got a new helmet light. Dawn doesn't like the weight of the Magicshine lights we have on her helmet, so I found this thing out on the web. After ordering it I found out its a Chinese clone of a light called a Gemini Duo. It claims 1800 lumens and 3 hours of burn time. Its incredibly small and light, I couldn't even notice it was on my helmet at all. It worked great, I did a 2 hour ride with it on high the whole time and the indicator light was still green at the end. I would say its about as bright as a second generation Magicshine. At only $51 its quite a deal. Consider that back in the day we would pay $300 for halogen based systems that would barely last 2 hours and the battery was in a water bottle!


New instrument
I've thought a lot about this new instrument build and I've decided the buitar thing (combo of 3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings on one neck) is just too weird. I don't have anything against weird, but I want to make something I can actually play. I've decided I'm going to make a five string fretted bass. I have gathered quite the pile of wood, I need to figure out how I'm going to put it all together. That's an activity best left for after the holidays for sure, but I did order a whammy bar bridge for it already. I've always wanted a whammy bar on a bass - I'm sure its something I'll rarely use, but it should be fun and I don't have to use it if I don't want to. 

Fatty rides
I've been pretty much 50/50 on the fatty versus RIP9 rides. I still love that RIP9, but I have to say I have a lot of fun on that fatty too! I keep thinking about how to make it lighter. I was considering a carbon frame, but that's probably going to be too much money. I may look into a carbon fork and lighter wheels or rims. We'll see. I see those Beargrease and Borealis frames and I think I would LOVE to own one of those, maybe in a few years I'll have the dough for one, I just can't afford it right now. I see some people getting those bikes down to sub-25lbs, that sounds like a fun bike. My fatty is around 34lbs right now, I don't have too many problems riding it, but if it was 5 or 6 pounds lighter, that would be really cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment