Saturday, September 29, 2012

Neck - the long cuts

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I've never built a neck before. I've built two basses and one guitar, but I have always bought the neck from Carvin. Its adding a level of difficulty for sure, but so far so good!

I made the cuts on the back and sides of the neck. I wasn't sure how I would do this but I went with the tried and true (but slow) way. I did a rough cut with the band saw then use the belt and drum sander to bring it in and hand sanding to finish it off. It came out really good - nice and straight.


I had a few "crap, I didn't think of that" moments, once you remove this material you lose any square edges to reference off of. I had a few saves where I almost did the wrong cut first. after I cut the back off I realized that my plan of using the sanders was kind of shot. I figured out a solution by double stick taping the cut off part on the back of the neck back in place. While it wasn't perfect, I had a reasonably square edge to run through the sander. 

I also carved the volute - in pretty much the same way I did the rest of the cuts - rough cut with the band saw and final forming with the drum sander. It looks pretty good, but will look a lot better once I the the back rounded. Right now the whole neck is looking kind of 2 dimensional.



I'm still unsure how I'm going to do that rounding, I don't have a spoke shave, I think I'll have to get one to finish the neck off. I can probably get some of the way with a sander and/or power plane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment