Friday, March 15, 2013

A little design progress on the Batar

I found a website where you can enter in all the parameters for your instrument and it spits out a to-scale pdf drawing to lay out your fanned frets. Pretty cool. When you think about it, the amount of information on the internet really enables so many things. If I was building this thing even five years ago, I'd be completely on my own to figure things out, now not only can I find information, but there's an actual tool to calculate and draw this thing out for you, truly amazing.

The first pieces of wood will be here today, I can glue up the neck blank, but I won't be able to go any further until I get the bridge figured out as that will dictate the width of the neck and fretboard. I think I'll be making a mock up out of cardboard, just to see how everything fits together.

I found my bass pickups and I have a couple of suspected guitar pickups, due to the strange set up I need to fine pickups with a bar magnet and not individual string coils, they are out there, I just need to find the right ones.

Vacation day today, not sure if I'll go do a mountain bike ride while its cold and frozen or wait for this afternoon and do a road ride - with a high of only 42 its not very warm - especially on a road bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment