Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My first Fatty ride

MojoK from Bikerag was nice enough to loan my his Pugsley for a ride or two, my thoughts below:

The ride was really fun, was it as much fun as my FS? probably not, but it was way more fun than my HT. I can't wait for mine to get here. The bike is really heavy, pulling it out of the car was a little frightening, I was thinking this was going to ride like a pigsley, not a pugsley. Surprisingly that was not the case, once you get those tires spinning, it really doesn't ride like a heavy bike. I guess since most of the weight is in the wheels, once you get those spun up you have momentum on your side.

The good thing about riding at Crandalls is I know every turn and rock, so its a good place for me to try out a new bike. Rock crawling is very cool, maximum traction and enough cushion to keep it from being painful. Corners were very fun, its really surprising how responsive the bike is, you would think with that rotating mass it wouldn't respond well to input, not the case, it leaned into corners very nicely. I didn't quite trust the tires enough, but that will come with time. When you got the thing really moving the gyro effect of all that mass spinning was very noticeable. I can't really describe it, but when you are upright and cranking along at speed you can feel the gyro, kind of a weird feeling. On technical stuff it was a lot of fun, though its slow fun. If you charge into a rock garden you are quickly reminded that you're on a rigid bike (its easy to forget that).

All in all, a really excellent ride that confirmed my decision to buy the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment