Monday, November 12, 2012

Its finished, yet unfinished

I finished the build on Friday, but immediately after finishing it I got my new road bike. I guess I got a bit distracted, in a good way.

The bass sounds good, I am familiar with EMG pickups so no surprises there, I added a bit more tone control to this one with a sweepable midrange and the ability to adjust the mix with one knob. I'll get a recording together once this nice weather passes, the bike will continue to be a distraction.

We have band practice tonight, it will be interesting to see how it performs.

Here's some pictures of the completed bass:





So back to the title of this post. Remember when I said I was being cocky by finishing it without a test fit? Yeah, well that is coming back to haunt me. I have three issues I need to deal with before I'm happy:
1) I was able to squeeze a single 9v battery into the control cavity, I really want to put a second in there, I'll need to undercut the cavity to make room for another one.

2) The headstock doesn't angle back as much as my other basses (apparently) I had to add some spacers (in the form of zip ties) to push the strings down on the tuning peg. The fix for this is simple, cut my strings longer next time - I'm probably too cheap to throw these strings away. Stupid mistake on my part.

3) The neck is too thick front to back. I was a chicken and left probably 5/16" of material behind the truss rod. That was safe, but I need to sand down another 3/16" of material off the back of the neck. Its too thick and blocky now. I'm not sure how much difference that 3/16" will make, but it will be better than it is now.

I originally told Dawn that was going to wait until after Christmas - which is far enough away that it really means "I don't want to deal with it". After thinking about it this weekend, I think I'm going to address this stuff this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment