Monday, November 5, 2012

Ready for finishing

At some random (it seems) point in the sanding process you have to admit to yourself that its not going to get better than it is. I'll take one final look at it tomorrow morning before applying the first coat of oil, but I think that the time has come to admit this is the best its going to look. There are small things that I think could be better, but I feel like that magical point where everything is perfect is going to remain just beyond the horizon and its time to just go for the finish. I can always tell myself I could re-do some part later on (but I know that won't happen).

I had a little problem with the fret lines - the anigre apparently doesn't absorb glue - so I ended up having to fill in the rest of the fret slots with anigre dust and glue. It looks great (under that blue tape), so no harm other than an extra hour or two of work.

I have a can of tung oil that worked great on the last bass and I'll use that one again, assuming the two test pieces I did tonight dry by morning - I have no reason to believe they won't, but I didn't want to risk it on the whole bass without trying. It doesn't smell funky so I don't think its "turned" or anything.

So here's the bass ready for finishing. Its been sanded to 320 or so. I remembered my last project sanding to 1600 grit, but I read a few articles today that said going beyond 320 is burnishing, not sanding and that's not what you want to do with an oil finish. Tung oil is really easy to apply so I expect no problems.



I really like the grain on the back of the bass - having a one piece walnut body would be cool - maybe the next one? 


Finishing is pretty relaxing for me - you hit it with a coat of oil and there's nothing to do but wait - no stress in that.

I remember mounting everything on the bass taking quite a while. It seems like it should be quick, but there's a ton of little things to get done. This is the first instrument I've built where I didn't do a test fit of all the pieces. Overconfidence? Perhaps.

I have Friday off work, hopefully by then I'll be in a position to put it all together. Every other instrument I've made I've finished after coming home from work, so it ends up being a long, tiring night. I endeavor to make this one a bit more enjoyable. I remember finishing the guitar and having no sound, I had crossed some wires in the control cavity, that was an extremely long night, figuring out that mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment