Monday, June 10, 2013

Ear worms

Ear worms combine the best and worst of two of my passions - music and biking. An ear worm is a song that repeats over and over in your head, I find its usually at its worst when I'm doing something like biking where my mind has time to wander. I listen to music whenever I can and Pandora is always on in the car on the way to mountain bike rides, this is usually where my ear worms are gestated.

In the worst case something like this makes its way into my head, not because I heard it, but its like a latent memory in the back of my head just waiting to pounce on my sanity "love me, love me", oh man, I hope I didn't wake the dragon by even thinking about that song (click play at your own risk!).



I love listening to Pandora and hearing both familiar and not-so-familiar music. Lately I've been stuck on the Butthole Surfers station. Not that I'm a huge BHS fan, but I like the music on that station, it combines a lot of music from a lot of eras that all speak to me (Primus, Nirvana, Beck etc).

Yesterday on the way to the ride I heard "The Distance" by Cake, this was a past ear worm and I figured I was in for a day of "He's going for speed...", but alas this did not stick.
 

This was today's ear worm. Perhaps the most repetitious chorus in the history of music, I really like the groove in this song though and this was one of those times where the ear worm was actually ok and I really didn't mind singing "get down, get down, get down, get down, get down...., yee-haw". I must have sang that out loud a hundred times in 3 hours and probably had it run through my brain 200 more times than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment