Sunday, January 6, 2013

Last ski for now

I skied up at Bigelow Hollow yesterday. I actually think there is more snow here at home than there is up there. It was a decent ski, but parts were rough with heavy, melting snow and light coverage in spots. It was definitely a good workout, but the downs were not all that fun (which is probably half the reason I like BC skiing). Turning took all my effort plus with my skis diving into the heavy snow, I was relegated to side slipping a lot of the steeper hills.



I had a critical decision to make at the halfway point - either cross Breakneck Pond over the ice, or go around and wade through a wide stream. I had seen some ice fisherman out on other lakes on the way up so I opted for the ice route. It was kind of cool - I just poled my way across without moving my skis, it was a pretty efficient way to travel. About half way across I turned into a patch of snow thinking it would be a good place to give my arms a rest from all that poling. What I didn't know was that under the snow was 3" of slush and water - quite scary to hit that stuff way out in the middle. At times I was up to my ankles in slush/water, not a pleasant experience. I rushed through it as quickly as I could, it definitely added some adrenaline to the otherwise peaceful crossing.

Off to see Em this morning, excited to spend some time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment