Sunday, October 28, 2012

Control Cavity

I did the control cavity tonight. I did a single pass with the router:


Then I put a forstner bit in the drill press and hawged (is that a word?) out the rest of the cavity, leaving a lip where the cover will sit, then used a chisel to carve out the rest. I may need to take out a bit more material - I'll have to see after I get the preamp and knobs in. The pathway to the pickup cavity is right where it should be. If you look closely you can see black and a little white in the guide holes, that's the anigre and the white is the spalted maple, those knobs don't have many threads on them - I'll bet I'll need to take out more to get them in:


I know it looks kind of rough (because it is) but it will be covered in copper foil and its INSIDE the bass, no one will ever see it.

I cut another piece of black walnut (from an earlier bass) and used that to make the cover. For some reason I thought this was going to be a quick operation. Not so. It took forever to get that cover to fit. I am a bit disappointed that its not perfect, but I have to remind myself this is a hand, not machine, built instrument.


After I got it to the right size I used an orbital sander to make it the right thickness, so its flush.

Pickup cavities are next - maybe tomorrow night if my parents don't lose power.

No comments:

Post a Comment