Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wings

I worked on the wings a bit today - it was more careful work, these cuts were the ones that I have been thinking about - the cuts on both wings have to be perfect so that they both meet at the middle and hit the sides of the neck. Add to that the fact that on the sides up by the fretboard there's cut that's tapered. Putting all those things together was quite a chore, its not perfect yet, but 95% there - I'll have to do a little staring to figure out what exactly needs to be fixed. I stared at this a long time, measured eighteen times and still had a few issues :-D. In the end, it worked out fine. I can't wait to get this thing done. There's still a LOT of work to do, but I feel good getting done what I did.

A side view of the cuts on the upper wing, I had to do the same on the bottom wing:


With the wings over the neck - I like the way the two sides match where they meet - there's some difference in coloring, but the grain is pretty close:
and with the "to-be-inlayed" pieces in place.

That's the next step - I need to route for the inlays. I will probably get to that on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment