Tuesday, October 16, 2012

More Neck

I got another hour or so over at the shop. I hate to say this (mostly because I know its not true), but the neck is done! I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do, but I like the way it feels right now. Its not as flat across the back as my two other Carvin-necked basses, but I like it! Frankly I'm a little afraid to go too much further down as I know that truss rod is lurking pretty close to the surface. I'll do some measurements tonight, just to know where I'm at. I did some of the work with the spoke shave, a bit with the belt sander (that thing cuts FAST) and then finished it off with the orbital sander. As far as I can tell its straight.

The cocobola is red when you sand it, but it oxidizes pretty quickly, going back to a brownish color - even now its not as red as it looks in this picture:

I tried to take a shot that showed the radius of the fretboard, I guess you can kind of see it. This took a stupid amount of hand sanding to get it done - no way around it. I had a sanding block that had the contour in it and I just double stick taped some sand paper on it.


The back looks great - apparently the maple gets dirty, right after you sand it, it looks so white and clean.


I have a bass that has a five piece neck, this seven piece neck is interesting because the ebony stringers are part of the neck contour.

Its hard to believe that neck looks "done" now, I was really expecting it to take a lot longer. I probably cut a few corners using the power tools, but I'm happy with the result, so I guess all is good. I guess the next thing to get done is the wings, I'll have to think about the process tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment