Monday, October 15, 2012

Neck - looking good (and some bike content)

I spent an hour or so working on the neck today. First I had to scrape off the glue that squeezed out, then sanded everything down until it was straight - it was very manual going back and forth between the drum sander, a scraper and a sanding block. Its looking great now - nice and straight. I need to cut a bit off the back of the neck (I left it big "just in case") and then I can get on my way with the neck carving. I saw a video on line from someone who knows what they are doing and it took them four hours. So I'm probably looking at 6 hours easily, probably more like 8.  I can't imagine removing all this material with a spoke shave, I have a feeling a belt sander and/or the band saw will come in play.


This is an optical illusion, the fretboard doesn't actually dip down like that :-D


A little bike content (I really expected that there would be a lot more bike content in this blog!) - I went and picked up a spoke shave from my brother who was at the other end of Tolland. It was a beautiful day for a ride and I cranked out 25 miles or so. That road bike is pure evil - the only thing keeping you from going faster is you. It has a computer on it that tells you whether you are going slowing or faster than your average speed - again, pure evil. It just makes you push harder and harder - ok maybe I have some control issues. Despite all the evilness, it was a nice ride on a really warm fall day. Props to the cop who made me take the detour adding 8 or so hilly miles onto my almost done ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment