Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The punch list

Man this working for a living thing really cuts into the time I have to do things I WANT to do...

Using some of the pictures I took and a little deductive reasoning, I think I've located the wiring channel, we'll see once I get those pickup cavities cut. After doing the sanding and control cavity, this bass is very lightweight, I wonder how much the hardware adds back in. I'd love to have a lighter instrument, my other fretless is very heavy.

While I haven't been able to actually work on the bass, I've had some time to look at it and put together a punch list of remaining items:

1) Pickup cavities 1.75x4.25 template, .75 deep
2) Body contour on the back (started, need to clean up)
3) Truss rod cover - use spalted maple with "natural" top break off
4) Back of neck, near the bottom needs a lot of attention/rounding/clean up
5) Upper horn needs some rounding help (damn foam sanding blocks do not play well with spalted!)
6) Drill for knobs
7) Final sand on the entire body and neck
8) Wood to fill in fret slots (dark or light? ARGH!)
9) Apply finish
10) Copper foil
11) Install electronics and connect wires
12) Mount hardware (bridge, strap buttons, machine heads)

Wow after writing that out, I can see there's a long way to go. I'm sure I missed a few things along the way. I project completion in 2-3 weeks depending on how much time I can get to spend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment