Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Deconstructionist view

I've spent way too much time staring at this walnut trying to figure out how to cut it for maximum effect. I want some interesting grain in places you will see it and more or less straight grain where the two sides meet. I've found the perfect alignment six or seven times (evidenced by the many chalk lines in the pictures). Now that I have final design for the spalted maple inlays I made some templates that allow me to see exactly what will be visible.

Here is what I decided upon (the pink lines):

Lower wing:


Upper wing:

So here's a "deconstructionist view" of the bass - it takes a little imagination to get the idea of what this will look like - and I left one of my inlay pieces is over at the wood shop (I hope):

The one inaccuracy in the above is that the walnut will go over the neck blank, so from the front you won't be able to see the stripes, it will just be solid walnut.

I guess I'll start working on those wings, but I also have to drill and cut the headstock before I get wings attached. I am somewhat undecided still about the headstock design - I'm thinking of doing another inlay over the very end of the headstock. I have to think about that and look at the wood I have. I think the inlay would have to be symmetrical, which would be a bit difficult. I may just leave it with the stripes exposed - I am really trying to do the right thing and not the easy thing on this build. Leaving it as it would be easy thing for sure.

I gotta stack firewood this morning, but maybe I'll get an hour or two over at the shop later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment